Sunday, June 20, 2010

Heidelberg

It’s about time that I started to catch up on my blogs. From Moscow we flew to Amsterdam to stay for one night, but were driven an hour out of town to a rural hotel. My guess is that they didn’t want anyone to enjoy the city too much. We pulled into a country hotel, surrounded by farmlands. Luckily it was right next to the American Embassy…aka McDonald’s. After a restful night we made our way to Germany. After having a questionable bus experience in Russia, I was delighted to find that our new bus driver, Ronny, was the man. Since then we’ve been

traveling everywhere in a brand new Mercedes Bus equipped with a cooler full of ice cold sodas and water...for those that know me...meaning anyone that would read this blog, I'm a big fan of soda. I'm really a gnome at heart. Ronny also brought along a guitar for anyone to use during the remainder of our time in Europe. Playing guitar is probably the biggest thing I’ve missed besides people and free refills. Problem solved…well, one problem. Ronny is also a huge football fan (soccer to the layperson), and is constantly rooting for his Dutch brethren, which is fine with me. I’ve officially claimed the Netherlands as my second team to the U.S. in the World Cup…after North Korea, of course.

Needless to say… but I’ll say it anyway… our drives have been quite nice lately. After crossing the German border, we made our way to Mannheim to visit the John Deere factory and plant. I never thought I’d come to Germany to see how a Deere runs, but I’m glad I did. It’s every guy/kids dream to see how giant tractors are made, and to climb inside some of the biggest machines around, or to pedal around on tiny replicas. Those green machines are a thing of beauty, and the huge museum is also worth a visit.

Later that evening we arrived in Heidelberg. So far on my travels, this is my favorite city.

It’s a beautiful medieval town surrounded by green mountains and split down the middle by the quiet Neckar river. Some people don’t like Heidelberg because it is such a large tourist center.However, I think it’s a tourist center for good reason. It’s beautiful, fun, authentically German, and historical. It’s little wonder that Mark Twain had a special place in his heart for Heidelberg. On one mountainside is a large old castle, and across the valley on the opposite peaks is a winding thoroughfare of stairs and trails known as the “Philosophenweg”. I don’t know what it means. I don’t think anyone does anymore. Scholars maintain that the translation was lost centuries ago…or it just means “Philosopher’s Way”. Apparently philosophers, University teachers, intellectuals, and wannabes have used the trail for ages in order to understand the meaning of life or to debate endlessly about the finer points of Calvinism/attracting ladies. Aaron and Kevin would both love it. As I made my way up the trail to the top of the mountain, I couldn’t get “The Climb” by Miley Cyrus out of my head, but that didn’t deter me. I pressed on toward the goal set before me. At the top was a great reward. Along the crest of the mountains was a giant concrete stadium created by Adolph Hitler for his speeches, as well as an ancient castle ruin, and an old tower that overlooked the valley. The views were spectacular, although my photography skills don’t do them justice. I’m good, but not that good.

The end

But seriously, Heidelberg is awesome, so I have more to write. Stay tuned.

4 comments:

  1. McDonald's totally is the U.S. embassy around the world. Do I trust the food? No. Do I feel at home and comfortable using their bathrooms? Yes. Mmm, fat and deep frying. Smells like America. -- Love, Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that a stock picture or one you took?

    Meaning the one without you in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took it. Stock?...please. The stock photo people would kill for a shot like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you get that scar you have from a duel in Heidleburg?

    ReplyDelete